5.27.2014

From the Line to Dine: Mahi Mahi Soft Tacos


A few weeks ago Robbie and I went offshore fishing with one of his co-workers and her husband. It was my first time going out that far (about 50 miles offshore, which took around 2 hours to get to our destination) and.... though I may be tentative about joining again soon (seasickness is no joke!) it made it all worth while when we came home with some great fish (a blackfin tuna that we cooked last week over a Napa Cabbage salad, a few mahi-mahi, a wahoo, and some snapper!)

This dolphin, or mahi-mahi, was one of the biggest fish we (he) caught that day and I was so excited because mahi is one of my favorites to cook/eat! I quickly headed to Pinterest for some recipe ideas and when I found this one for Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos from Charleston Magazine, I knew I'd have to try it!



Mix together your seasonings (I used cumin, black pepper, a dash of cayenne pepper, Garlic Sea Salt mix from Trader Joe's and Everyday Seasoning from Trader Joe's) and use as a dry rub on the mahi-mahi filets and drizzle with olive oil. Let these marinate a little while mixing up the guacamole and salsa. (I cheated a little and bought fresh salsa but also cut up some grape tomatoes and added a little bit of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.)


Since I don't have a real grill, I heated up my George Foreman Grill and cooked the filets for around 10 minutes, though the time will differ depending on your grill and size of the filets. I checked them often and since they get cut up for the finished product, I had no problem cutting them into smaller pieces to cook towards the end. When they were done, I took a fork and broke it into pieces to be easier to eat in the tacos and added a little bit more seasoning!


When the tortillas are warmed, fill with the seasoned fish, cheese (I used pepper jack), guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, Mexican rice, and black beans - yum!


Something about eating what you've caught (or in my case, watched being caught) makes it taste 10x better! These also made great leftovers for lunch the next day, which in my book is always a plus!

View full recipe here

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious. My favorite mahi mahi tacos are at Poes. YuM!!


    Xo,L
    simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm. I MISS FLORIDA (even though you caught those fish off the coast of SC haha). I can't wait to reap the benefits of my dad going fishing this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete